Organizers appeal ban on BNR anniversary march
The organizers have appealed the Minsk city government's decision to ban a March 25 opposition march, said
Earlier this month, the organizers applied to the city authorities for permission for the march, which was to be staged on the 93rd anniversary of the proclamation of the 1918 Belarusian National Republic (BNR), to go through the center of the city from Yakub Kolas Square to Yanka Kupala Park, but the authorities rejected the application, suggesting that the event be limited to a rally in Nations’ Friendship Park, a tranquil place popular with joggers and people walking their dogs.
The appeal was filed with the Maskowski District Court on March 22.
While talking to reporters on March 21, Alyaksey Yanukevich, leader of the Belarusian Popular Front and one of the people who applied for permission for the march, said that no unauthorized demonstration would take place on March 25. "We have already witnessed many situations where attempts at gathering in Yakub Kolas Square either ended in a dispersal or people were simply not let into the square," he said.
The politician noted that the city authorities' proposal for a rally in the park would be rejected either.
The organizers now suggest that people mark the BNR anniversary with a flower-laying ceremony at the monument to the Belarusian literary great in Yanka Kupala Park, Mr. Yanukevich said.